They always need our prayers. There is no time in eternity, but the souls suffer as if there is time. They continue to suffer until they are released. It is said that the highest number of souls are released from Purgatory on Christmas. Can you imagine the celebration in Heaven, not only because it is the birthday of Jesus, but because so many souls have entered into the complete love of God and the Beatific Vision! Praise God! So, let’s help the souls go home!
What can you do?
1. Have masses said for the souls in Purgatory. Masses bring them release from their pain and shorten their stay in Purgatory.
2. Pray the St. Gertrude prayer daily for souls. Make the prayer a daily novena and say it 9 times a day. Each time you say this prayer, 1,000 souls are released from Purgatory.
Eternal Father, I offer You the Most Precious Blood of Your Divine Son, Jesus, in union with all of the Masses said throughout the world, in reparation for sin, for the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those within my own home, and within my family.
3. Make sacrifices for the Souls.
Give up dessert. Skip lunch. Skip the candy bar for a snack. Make a donation to a favorite charity for the souls. Get up early. Go to Mass during the week.
4. Offer your good works up for the Souls.
Visit someone in a nursing home. Write a note or letter to someone telling them of your appreciation for them. Surprise someone with a small gift. Volunteer to read to someone.
5. Pray for the forgotten and abandoned souls in Purgatory, expecially for them. Don’t ever assume that your family members who have died are out of Purgatory. They might be in there longer than you could imagine. Pray for all the memebers of your family tree. Pray for those who have no one to pray for them. Remember, many denominations don’t believe in Purgatory. These people have no one to pray for them. Pray for the clergy. Just remember to PRAY!
Let’s empty Purgatory. Christmas is coming soon! You can do it!