I’m really torn on this, and I would like to know how you feel. When it comes to the death penalty, I tend to lean in favor of it for some crimes. However, if I were on a jury, I’m not sure I could vote in favor of giving the death penalty, but if a member of my family were murdered, I think I would be in favor of the death penalty as a means of punishment.
Pope Francis, on his recent visit to the United States, encouraged us, as a country, to get rid of the death penalty. He even wrote a letter to the state of Georgia asking for mercy in the case of Kelly Kissander, who had been on death row for 18 years and was finally executed last night. This case is another reason why I am torn.
1) Even though Kelly did not kill her husband with her own hands, she convinced the man with whom she was having an affair to do so. Yes, I realize that this is a capital crime, too. However, the man who actually killed her husband is serving life without parole.
2) Kelly lived another 18 years. Her husband did not have that privilege. Kelly found God and, according to her spiritual director, was a different woman 18 years later. I would hope that she had changed.
I feel greatly for her family. They have been traumatized again by the death of a parent. According to the state of Georgia, the debt of her life was demanded as payment for her crime.
I feel greatly for the family of her husband. I wonder if they have achieved a sense of peace and closure after Kelly’s execution. I hope so.
My questions become these:
1) Do you feel the death sentence in justified in some cases?
2) Was Kelly on death row too long? She lived 18 years there.
3 ) If Kelly’s execution had been sooner, would that have given more significance to the payment for her crime?
4) Since Kelly did not kill her husband, but had someone else do so, should he have also been sentenced to death and executed?
5) Do you think the death penalty should be removed as a punishment for crime?
If you feel up to answering any of these questions, please be respectful in your answers. I will delete disrespectful comments at my discretion.
Please post your answers here on my blog, and not on the sites where I will post this blog.
I’m really torn about the death penalty. I’d like to hear what you think.